Thursday, March 26, 2015

Bunion Surgery Recovery Week 1

Here's the before and after X-Ray

Days 1-3

The first 3 days after the surgery was a breeze. I felt no pain since the local anesthetic and Norco pain medication kept me on a happy cloud of numbness. Used a cold compress on my foot during the day. I stayed in bed or in the living room couch, & got up only to use the restroom. I kept an ottoman in the restroom to keep my leg elevated while I peed. I ate lots of ice cream to make sure I had my calcium. Listened to Audio Books on my phone. Audible has a 30 day free trial. If you click on this link for the 30 day trial, you will be supporting this site.

Days 4-6

So this is when is starts getting uncomfortable. The constipation and the realization that you haven't bathed kicks in. Also since my leg and foot are in a splint, it started causing an uncomfortable sensation around the ankle and heel. I was a more mobile during these days so the crutches started hurting my armpits and created small callouses on my hands. I took Milk of Magnesia and a Teaspoon of Coconut oil 4 hours later I was not longer constipated. Then,  I took a nice bath. I used the ottoman to help me get in the tub by placing my right knee (leg with surgery)  on the ottoman then, placed my left foot in the and slowly lowered myself down by placing my hands on each side on the tub and kicking my right foot up and out of the tub to not get it wet. It was risky and bathing takes some upper arm and core strength so i was glad to have taken yoga. Just have to be careful not to slip. Getting out of the tub was a similar process. Just be mindful.

Day 7 Post Op Check up

Nurse removed the bandage from the splint and doctor checked my foot. She encouraged me to move my toes and to rotate my ankle which was painful. I should have taken pain meds before going. She added ointment to the stitches and changed the bandage. I will get a cast next week. She gave me the option to keep the splint for the next 40 days but the cast will keep the foot more secure.


Warning graphic zombie foot below:












Changed out the bandages was able to wiggle the toes and roll the ankle.





2 comments: